Sport is fun, for the most part. But it can also be contentious and high stakes.
Say, you have been wrongly fined or penalised. Or someone has breached your image rights. You have been called to a disciplinary hearing. Or you are negotiating better terms and conditions.
Athletes, management and associations are in the business of sport. Like any business, their respective interests intersect with those of owners, sponsors, competitors and regulatory and governing bodies.
At TEJ LAW, we look after athletes and their management, player associations and sports bodies. We provide advice on sports disputes and athlete’s rights and liabilities, representation at tribunals and other hearings and commercial advice, such as contract reviews and negotiations. We also draft and review policies, constitutions and regulatory frameworks.
And we just love sport. So, we are guaranteed to understand your industry.
We have acted for:
- SA state sports organisation on policies, risk management, code of conduct and judicial procedure (SA, 2018)
- SA local sports organisation in relation to Shooting Australia code of conduct (SA, 2018)
- SA state sport association in relation to employee matters, defamation and their constitution (SA, 2017)
- National football players association on appeal against FFA arbitration on FIFA World Cup matters (NSW, 2016)
- National football players association (and current national player) in relation to potential sponsorship issues and issues arising under the FFA Collective Bargaining Agreement (NSW, 2016)
- National football players association and player on appeal before national FFA Appeal Panel (NSW, 2016
- NSW state sports association on tribunal hearing and appeal (NSW, 2015)
- Current national rugby union player in Australian Rugby Union Code of Conduct hearing for alleged breaches of ARU Code of Conduct and playing contract (NSW, 2014)
- International energy drink company on contractual/IP issues in relation to V8 Supercars, surfing (NSW, 2012 - 2014)